I've been going at least once a month to work with and learn from Chris Manson, who creates wonderful fine-press work and original illustrations under the imprint "Crooked Crow Press" from his home studio in Maryland. He has been an excellent mentor, and I'm so grateful that he has been willing to share his time, knowledge, and the use of his well-run studio and impressive collection of type. I had the pleasure of spending many hours during lunch breaks enjoying Chris' extensive library of fine press books - and am inspired to start my own collection one day.
hand-set print, 11 1/4" x 15"
Above is a work-in-progress, set in Goudy Modern with full justification. The content is from an 1884 natural history text - I really enjoy how these early descriptions of biological diversity were often anectdotal, certainly less clinical or objective than they are today. All that remains to finish off the piece is the illustration, which I intend to be a woodcut or etching of the species of lemur described in the text.

No comments:
Post a Comment