-- Nan Shepherd, The Living Mountain
I started out the new year by spending a chilly week working
in Penland’s indoor/outdoor paper studio. The surrounding Appalachian mountain views were
my inspiration and I experimented with thin layers of overbeaten abaca and flax
to create a single image.
The sequence below shows each of four layers being added.
The photo below shows how this piece looked after 24 hours. When overbeaten flax dries there is a fairly dramatic change in color, which can be tricky to account for in mixing pigments - you can see how my blue mountain ridges turned out dark green, and the last layer I added almost disappeared.
Unfortunately the time involved in beating pulp and waiting for paper to dry means
that it can be challenging to respond and make alterations when things don't turn out as expected and you have a limited
period of time. Despite these frustrations, as well as some rather
unfriendly weather, I’m
very pleased to have a nice stack of paper in various shades of "distant mountain ridge" to work with for upcoming projects
this year.


2 comments:
Beautiful papers which will no doubt become beautiful books.Looking forward to your year.
Thanks, Jack!
Post a Comment