Friday, August 28, 2015

“Permutation” Postcards, Revisited & New Retail Venue



I started this set of postcards three years ago, during graduate school, and enjoyed returning to it during the past month. It’s a series of ten letterpress prints, “Permutations”, in which I focused on overlapping solid shapes of transparent ink to develop the designs spontaneously. I made a selection of photopolymer plates and combined them ad hoc with the goal of maximizing the number of colors in the print while minimizing passes through the press. It feels good to finish something that had been shelved for so long, and I learned a lot from the experimental approach. I'm particularly pleased to see how much depth it's possible to create with layering, and how these rather simple silhouette images can start to suggest bizarre narratives.



This one is not part of the series, I just had extra paper and a vintage printer’s cut that I’d been wanting to use for ages. Long live snail mail!

I’m also very excited to announce that Whist, a sweet little West Asheville gift shop, will be carrying some of my letterpress cards.

No comments: