In mid-August I heard via social media about some antique printing equipment in need of rescue from an old building that had just sold in Marshall, NC. And just like that, I found myself with a new press/project.
It’s a 10 x 15 Chandler & Price platen press with a Kluge automatic paper feeder, which I’ve decided to name “Pop”, after James “Pop” Story, the owner of the printing company that once thrived in this historic building on Marshall’s Main Street. Story Printing Co. was responsible for cranking out the News-Record and other communications in Madison County, and from my initial research it seems that Pop was a valued member of the community, perhaps something of a character, who made the printshop itself a local hangout for socializing. I’m looking forward to delving deeper into the legacy of this machine, and I’m excited to honor and preserve its history. Of course I’ve always wanted my own printing press, but to have found one locally - just up the river from Asheville in a small town that has always enchanted me - I couldn’t be more pleased.
![]() |
| Pop Story, 1979 - photo by Rob Amberg |
After scraping through layers of caked-on ink and grease, I found a serial number which dates the press to 1909. Despite its age, and having sat untouched for many years (possibly since 1986, when the last business license posted on the wall is dated), it is in relatively good shape. It will need new ink rollers, a new motor, and lots of elbow grease to clean and get the parts moving smoothly. I haven’t decided yet whether restoring the Kluge feeder is a challenge I’m up for, or if I will return the press to a hand-fed setup. I plan to outfit the press for printing digitally-produced plates instead of using lead type. At this stage I have a bit of research to do - reaching out to printers with experience in this department to solicit opinions and advice on how to properly restore it. The building contained another C&P, cases of lead type, and a Linotype machine that were recently claimed as well; I imagine any offset presses were sold back when the shop closed.
Pop was successfully moved into Suite 169 of the RAMP studios by a team of movers, led by a Madison County native who shared some memories of the print shop with me. It was no small feat getting the 2,000+ pound machine in place, and it won’t be going anywhere for a while. I will post updates in the coming months as I begin the process of restoring Pop to print once again. For now I’ll end with a phrase from this dusty graduation program printed at Story Printing in the 60s: Not Finished, Just Begun



No comments:
Post a Comment