I start out the semester of Introductory Book Arts teaching paste paper so my students
will have plenty of decorative material for book covers and pastedowns through
the rest of the course. Though I enjoy the process, I’ve never used this technique
much in my own work – I always found it a bit messy for my taste. After
demonstrating it to students so many times, I’ve started to find ways of making
it my own, and have developed a style I’m actually excited to use. It's possible to create a lot of depth by using at least two layers of color, allowing the first
to dry some before coming in with the second, using contrasting patterns of vastly
different scales. Above are some favorites I made this year. The patterns you
see were created with brayers, combs, grout spreaders, scrapers, and bubble
wrap. (Click on an image for a larger view.)




No comments:
Post a Comment