Testing New Techniques


I started work on a new book and decided to try some more direct
methods for image-making this time. The photos above show my first attempts at painting on
handmade paper, using the batch I made at Penland in January. Because
the blend of abaca and flax is so thin, and cockles readily at the introduction
of moisture, I’m using gouache and focusing on line work. Even this has created
an interesting raised texture on the reverse side of the page; I’m not sure I
like it, but it does seem worth continued experimentation. I’ve also done a few
tests with pochoir: using mylar stencils and stamp pad ink. This works well for
larger solid areas, but the depth is a little lacking and I’d like to figure out how
to blend different shades of ink or dye. I may end up
letterpress-printing this edition, but I wanted to take the opportunity to try
out some other options I’ve long been curious about, at least during the early
stages of development. This book is slated for completion in time for the
Gallery Nomads show at Greenhill in June, so I’ll be posting photos of the final product soon.
1 comment:
Yes!!! I Love doing Rt with hands!!!!!!
Post a Comment