This is a series of biological definitions relating to parental investment, paired with self-portraits from my childhood. Using marker and collage, I altered photographs that were taken by my mother (I think the blurry one was taken by my father or brother). The biological terms, used to describe offspring, are as follows: nudifugous/nidicolous, oviparous/viviparous, altricial/precocial
Below are lithographs, a printmaking technique I hadn't tried before. The prints were hand-colored with watercolor. I've illustrated details and stages in the life cycle of an invented species.
The prints below are collagraphs based on medical data and devices. My motivation for this series was to create something beautiful out of parts of my life that are a constant source of stress and frustration. The graphs represent 24 hours of blood glucose data from a monitor that I wear at all times. For another series, I dismantled several of my defunct or obsolete medical devices and used the circuit boards as printing plates.

1 comment:
Thank you! I am working on another life cycle piece this semester - it's more abstract and I'm trying it in book form this time...
Post a Comment